Monday, July 12, 2010

Find Your Love (72/90)

Pie is delicious.

Today I was watching a Morgan Spurlock TV show called 30 Days. After the success of Super Size Me, he decided to do a series where he'd explore some aspect of life that was usually opposite of what he or the participants were used to, and for 30 days they'd live like this. I've seen some of this show before, and it's intrigued me. Today I watched the minimum wage episode, and the straight/gay episode.

I honestly think more people need to watch this TV show. It's enlightening. The minimum wage one exposed how hard it is to live on minimum wage in this country, for two people only. They hardly made enough to get by, and because both of them had to go to the emergency room without insurance, they actually didn't. They did the math at the end of the show, and found out that they wouldn't be able to pay off their hospital bills for three months, on top of everything else they had to pay for.

Granted, certain states have a higher minimum wage than the federal, and this episode was filmed in 2005, and the federal minimum wage was $5.15. Now, in 2010, it's $7.25. I know that Illinois' minimum wage is higher than the federal, $8.25. But the message is still the same. It is incredibly hard to do more than get by on minimum wage, and it makes you think.

Spurlock visited a church that had free necessities, from dishes to furniture. I'm not a very religious person, but I started thinking that I'd like to find one of these churches and donate a lot of things I don't use to them, so that they can be put to use. I do have a lot of unnecessary things that could be put to use by others.

The second one that came on today was when they took a straight man from Michigan, Ryan, and sent him to live in the Castro district of San Fransisco for 30 days. He was very conservative, very Christian, in the Army reserve, and thought that homosexuality was a sin. Throughout most of his stay, he was firm in his convictions. Some of his stereotypes about how homosexuals lived were shattered; he did realize they weren't very different from him. But he still held on to his belief that it was a sin, and a choice.

Ryan went to a gay church, and still doubted that they were Christian. He talked to the pastor, who brought up what I think is a very good point: he was foregoing certain things in the Bible, but holding strong to others. For example, she asked him if he had, in the course of serving in the Army, ever shot and killed someone, or if he would if it were necessary. He said yes. She then reminded him that killing is a sin. He argued that he was protecting his country. This proved her point.

He also compared homosexuality to murder. He said, "Murder's a sin, and homosexuality's a sin." Excuse me, but I do believe that ending a life is a bit worse than loving someone. And didn't Jesus teach love? Didn't Jesus love those who society deemed unworthy? Weren't prostitutes condemned too, and wasn't Mary Magdalene a prostitute? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I wasn't raised by the Bible, so I could be getting my facts wrong.

Personally, I say live and let live. I don't think it's a sin, and even if you think it is, are you worthy to be judging them? I thought that was God's job. I thought you were supposed to love your neighbor, not deny them rights because they're different. I thought that you were supposed to spread the word of God. All of the word, to all people.

Love is love is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment