Friday, July 9, 2010

Harry's Wonderous World (69/90)

I went out Salsa dancing last night, that's why I didn't update. There's a lot on my mind, so the catch-up post is just random thoughts.

I cleaned out my clothes yesterday. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't fit everything in my closet and drawers, so I've been meaning to do it for awhile. I keep old clothes for various reasons: Either I think I'll be able to fit into them again when I lose weight, or they've got a special place in my heart. And I watch shows like "What Not to Wear" and wonder why some people can't part with certain clothes. But I couldn't do that with a whole drawer full of shirts that I either don't want to wear again, or can't fit into.

But I don't really think that's what today's make-up blog is going to be about, because if I hadn't gone out last night then I would've been watching the Harry Potter Weekend marathon on ABC Family. And I love these weekends, because they put the extended scenes in as well. This weekend is even more exciting because they're showing footage of Deathly Hallows. But they're playing them again right now.

I've got Sorceror's Stone on right now. It's mainly on as background as I write this, but every so often I look up. Richard Harris Dumbledore just gave a speech. I miss this Dumbledore. He had the grandfatherly bit to Dumbledore that's missing from Michael Gambon. Probably because Gambon hasn't read the books. And when I do look up, I start to say the lines. I can do that in peace because no one else is home. I've also got the facial expressions memorized when they speak their lines.

There's a possibility that I'm too attached to this series. I know I'm obsessed. I've been re-reading the series and talking to the books. I waited in my room with five different web sites on when the Deathly Hallows trailer was released. I've cried whenever anyone has died in the books this reading. I want my first tattoo to be something Potter-related. Either "accio," which is the summoning spell, or the Deathly Hallows symbol. I think I know more about Harry Potter than I do about history, which is my second major. And I want more.

Harry Potter is what made me want to write a book. I fell in love with the idea of creating someone out of thin air, and communicating my thoughts to others so we could all see the same thing through words. I've written about this before. But that's not the only thing Harry Potter's done for me.

Harry's helped me through a lot when I was younger. If I pop in one of the movies, or start reading one of the books, it instantly cheers me up. I continue to find new things in the books on every reading, and I just noticed something in the movie that I hadn't before. Harry may actually be the only male I can fully rely on in my life.

I mean, so long as I have the books and the movies, he'll always be there. I understand his actions, and if not then I can always re-visit them until I do. I know what he's thinking, and what he wants. Whenever I need him, I can easily see him. The only thing that stinks is that he's completely fictional. I wonder if that's a bit sad, that the only male I can depend on is a fictional character between the ages of 11 to 17 for most of the time I need him?

But it doesn't matter, because my love for him hasn't faded yet, and I can't see it fading anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best part about literature and storytelling. Don't ever lose that :)

    ReplyDelete