Thursday, June 3, 2010

Language Lessons (34/90)

Well, dear reader, I didn't get around to trying to write today. My day of cleaning and exercising took longer than I anticipated.

So I don't have anything really to write about either. Something that's been in my head for about 24 hours now is how word choice can easily change the mood or mind of whatever is being talked about. For example, in my extreme boredom but slight insomnia at about one in the morning, I use an application called StumbleUpon. And I stumbled upon a list of words women hate hearing. One of them, that's generally the word I've heard in all areas as one women don't like, is "moist."

I guess it's just an awkward word to say out loud. And the article was more concerned with things to say in the bedroom, so saying something along the lines of "You're so moist" is, understandably, awkward. It makes me think of cakes. Chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting that are extremely expensive, but can be because they're so moist. But I guess since I've never had anyone tell me I'm "moist," I really don't hold a grudge against the word.

There are some words that have so many synonyms. One that pops into my head that isn't moist or wet is laugh. There are so many different ways: chuckle, chortle, giggle, snort, etc. And while each of them basically describe the same action, you know how funny something is based on the adjective. If someone snorts, then it's just amusing. Generally speaking, you chuckle because it's a pity reaction. Laughter is for something you truly find funny, and giggles are usually little laughs at something cute that was said.

Another such word is sex. There are so many ways to say "have sex." Make love, f*ck, do each other, coitus, screwing, and the list goes on. And you know, depending on what one is said, what the intent of the other person is. Making love is generally for people in a relationship. If you haven't said that "love" word yet, but are still engaging in the act, then you can say sex. Sometimes using the word sex to describe the act is for those who think that even if you're not in a relationship, that it would mean something, or that there's some interest in the person besides for the physical.

And then when the word f*ck is used, you instantly know it's just about lust and gratifying the sexual desire. It's the basest way to describe the act without sounding either technical or comical. Some may pretend that there really isn't a difference between the words, but there is. Some claim f*ck is better for dirty talk. But to be honest, it quickly conveys the fact that all you want is a good lay with no emotional attachment at all.

There's a reason why poets and authors will sit there struggling to find the best word for the sentence. When there's something that seems as ambiguous as "laughed" or "chortled" that can be such a struggle, it's almost a wonder how quickly things can be written. I know that a few times during this post, and throughout many others, I have paused to try and find the best way to word my thoughts, because the best words sometimes escape me.

There are probably few out there who care about the differences, which is slightly saddening.

No comments:

Post a Comment