Friday, June 25, 2010

When I Dream at Night (55/90)

Had a picnic and got my dad today.

I'm tired and it's before midnight. Granted, it could be because I was in a car for about two hours just now, and I worked out earlier today. But I kind of just want to go to sleep right now. Thing is, my parents are still awake and there's still things I want to do before I sleep. But sleep sounds really good right now.

I've never been a big sleeper. For the longest time, when it was the weekend I could only sleep until about nine in the morning, no matter when I went to bed. And I really can't sleep for longer than eight hours at a time. I've tried, and most times I've failed. I wake up and get restless. Yes, I can lay there and be sleepy still, but falling back asleep is a lost cause.

I'm also quite a light sleeper. I used to wake up when my parents did in high school, and would wake up at any sound. Probably a part of not being able to sleep late is because I couldn't sleep through the sunlight that streamed into my window past that time. And once I was awake, I couldn't fall back asleep.

Things changed in college, I guess. I mean, I'm still a light sleeper. I still wake up at the first noise from either alarm clock. I still can't sleep for much longer than eight hours. But now I can go to sleep if Tif's still studying and has the light on, or is staying awake on her computer. And I can (and do) sleep until noon or later. Now I can fall back asleep if I've woken up, but only for about an hour extra. And I sleep through everyone moving around at home when I come back and my brother still has a month of school left.

Lately I've been waking up and then laying in bed for a good chunk of time. Sometimes it's because of the dreams I have. I remember a lot of my dreams; I have deja vu a lot as well. And usually I try and write down my dreams. I've read that writing down your dreams will make it easier for you to remember future dreams, and I have some pretty strange dream. I think the strangest was when we were living at our old house, and my brother started to vomit lava. I had to get him to the hospital but couldn't touch him (or drive at that time).

The past few dreams that I've had are fairly plausible, but dream logic is usually utilized to get from place to place, and there's no real logical pace of time. They've been featuring two people, one being Dave. They are really quite weird, involving what was downtown Chicago, Lady Gaga, malls, and possible revisiting of relationships. Or his head on another's body. And then they jump to a completely different scene that has me going on some sort of adventure to help my brother.

And they've been more sexual. I never see the act, usually there's just kissing, if that. Sometimes there's a hint that something just happened, or that something will eventually happen, but I only see the kissing and then I just know what's next, and the dream fast-forwards to after. But with these dreams, they usually take place in the basement of my old house. We moved about six years ago, and the furniture in my dreams is nothing like the furniture we had there. And I didn't get my first boyfriend until after we moved here.

So I'm intrigued by the fact that all of the dreams having to do with Dave or this other person take place in the old house, where the worst that took place was me writing in my diary that I wanted to be someone's girlfriend. I'm not sure why it all takes place there. I mean, I could probably look it up, but I do like my own theory better. I think it's because nothing happened there, my subconscious is trying to tell me either that I want to get back to where (or who) I was then, or that I want something to happen that makes me as happy as I was when I was living there.

I mean, those were probably the happiest times of my life to date, so it makes sense that I want to be that happy again. Or maybe the dream's telling me that I should find someone that I want to take home and proudly show to my parents, someone who can fit in seamlessly to my family, and someone who could make me happy for a number of years, as happy as I was back then.

Or maybe I should research what it means and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment