Saturday, June 26, 2010

One of These Days (56/90)

I haven't done anything today really.

Last night my internet went out, so instead of doing something somewhat productive like working on my story, or reading Harry Potter, I played solitaire and listened to an album for an hour and a half. And today I didn't do anything productive at all. I didn't work out, didn't work on my story, and didn't clean up. I ate fast food twice today and sat in front of my TV or laptop. And I really didn't mind too much.

I've been thinking about the future a lot lately. It's understandable, because all that my summer's amounting to is me driving my brother around, eating with my friends, working out, and being on the computer. I do spare a few thoughts for August and the upcoming school year, but my future planning has been going a bit further than that.

Looking for potential future internships is incredibly difficult, I've come to find. Since I'm planning on doing mine next summer, the ones I want to look for have been filled, and the Web sites aren't advertising for next summer yet. I want to do an internship in Chicago, so I can just take the train every day and not have to worry about a place to live. But it seems like most of these internships are unpaid.

Yes, I need work experience. I need an internship to graduate. But I need to make money so that I don't have to continue to take loans out, so I'd really prefer a paid internship. And I'm not really having much luck with bigger names either; a lot of them are unpaid as well. And the big-name magazines are based in New York City, so I most definitely need some sort of income since I wouldn't be living at home.

It seems like I'm just looking to the summers, because I've also been thinking about the summer after I graduate. I'm thinking of going to graduate school right after, and I'm hoping to go to one in Chicago. I want to live in an apartment in downtown Chicago. I want to live in the city. I really wouldn't mind living in New York either. The only thing that stinks is that most of my college friends will be staying in Indiana.

But before I relocate to wherever grad school will be, I want to go to Europe. At the very least, I want to spend at least a week in England. I didn't get the chance to go this summer like I thought I would, because of complications, but I do have my passport for the first time. I think that I'll plan my own trip out, and see if I can't find at least one friend to accompany me. And if I have the money and time, then I'd also like to visit Spain, France, and Italy.

I haven't done a lot of research yet, but I do know that at the very least being in England and getting to go to London will be satisfying enough. I'd want to see everything and do everything, and if I could go then all the money I had saved would probably end up going to the trip, except for what was necessary for the apartment I'd be returning to.

And this future, while sparse, is one that I'm honestly excited about. It may not have concrete plans, it may just be vague ideas, and it may not include anyone other than my closest friends. For me, that's something that usually doesn't happen. I'm usually not comfortable if I don't have more than the bare minimum of information. But today, and lately, I've been embracing it.

Maybe it means I've finally reached a point in my life where I'm comfortable with seeing what the universe has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment