Monday, June 7, 2010

The Power (37/90)

Blogger was down when I was supposed to post, so I’ve decided to write the blog of June 6th in Word and see if I can’t copy/paste when it starts working again.

Basically all day I ready Harry Potter. When I first started I was really nervous, since I wasn’t sure if I’d still be as much in love with it as I have been. Five hours later, I was done with Sorceror’s Stone and starting on Chamber of Secrets. Obviously my fears were silly, because if I really wanted too I could finish Chamber of Secrets tonight as well. But I’m going to extend the time it takes me to finish reading the series, because I don’t really have much else to choose from to read, and I’m still loving the series.

And it’s not just because of the memories I have attached to it, or the storyline, or the writing. It can still make me think. near the end I started thinking about a few different things that may be later entries, but tonight’s will focus on what Voldemort says near the end. He says it in the movie too. “There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it.” Professor Quirrell, Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone, page 291 (American edition).

We’ve been told from the beginning that we’ve got to be “good” and that there is “evil” in the world. It’s everywhere: in our religion, in the movies, on TV shows, in books. It’s the central theme to countless plotlines. Usually we interpret something bad as being evil, like any of the seven deadly sins. But I think that there are a few instances where what we perceive as evil isn’t as bad as we make it out to be.

For example, lust. I’ve already shared some thoughts on lust, before I started the 90 in 90. It’s needed to have sex, plain and simple. You can take it to a bad place, when you abuse it. But in moderation, it’s a fairly safe feeling. Same with pride. Chefs should “stand behind their dishes,” which is basically taking pride in what they’ve produced. And being proud about your accomplishments isn’t inherently bad.

I think it’s the same with power. Everyone interprets the desire to have some power as a bad thing. But coming from someone who has felt powerless on multiple occasions, trying to gain power is not only liberating but healthy. It’s only when the quest for power consumes you, like in the case of Professor Quirrell, that it is a bad thing.

Maybe he’s right. Maybe there is only power, and I’ve been one of those who are too weak to seek it. Maybe I’ve been contenting myself with trying to be a “good” person and neglecting trying to get some power. Well, I know I’ve never actually gone out and tried to be a powerful person. I’m much more at ease trying to make everyone else happy. I’m afraid I’ll mess up if I do have a leadership position, and I don’t want to let people down.

But lately I’ve actually been trying to gain a little bit of power in my personal life. I’m taking more of a stand about what I want, and what will be happening to me. And it’s not going to my head, so it hasn’t started to become evil. It’ll take some time to get used to exerting a bit of power, but I don’t think it’ll ever go to my head.

At least, I hope I don’t misuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment