Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bigger Than My Body (26/90)

I'm afraid that my summer is going to be filled with me staring at some screen all day, trying not to go insane. No one's hiring. It's very frustrating.

One of the things I was watching today was Tyra Banks' talk show. The title of this episode intrigued me. It's called "Rock Your Ugly," so of course I had to go see what was going on. The part I started watching displayed three young women who were obsessed with perceived flaws on their faces: one with her hairline, one with scars on her face, and a third for looking too pale. They were placed in a storefront window, and had to stand there without hearing the comments on the other side of the glass. It got to be too much for one of the women, and she left the case.

Now, I think that's a bit extreme. I know I would be uncomfortable standing in a window, not being a model and all, and watch peoples' physical reactions without knowing what they were saying, and I aspire to model eventually. But that's not what I was really annoyed with. Tyra was in awe that these women were so obsessed by this one flaw they thought they had. And I agree, the woman who claimed to have noticeable scars on her face I couldn't see.

But by seeing the way they reacted in the glass case, and hearing them describe what their thoughts are, I started to think that they weren't just obsessing over this. I started to think that maybe they had body dysmorphic disorder. Now, I know I'm not anywhere near a skilled psychologist, but I have been doing my research on body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). I'd only heard about it recently, and Tyra's show originally aired November 25, 2008, according to TV.com.

So I was ready to give her the benefit of the doubt, because I had never heard of this disease until early 2010, if that. But then I decided to do a bit of research on BDD , and found out that it was identified as a psychological condition in 1987, according to Associated Content. So I started thinking about this, and how the producers could have done a bit of research to see if something like this existed.

I mean, it was just a matter of time before the bombardment of the ideal woman would end up leading to more psychological problems than eating disorders. And I feel like just a bit of research would have brought about some articles on the disorder. Then she wouldn't just be sitting on the show, parading these women about, saying that she found it "weird" that they thought this way, and that "she couldn't understand it." And then go to a commercial after her fun little experiment was done.

This isn't the first time I've thought that Tyra doesn't need to have a show. I've watched a few of the other episodes, and it just seems like she goes into it, gets a basic story, and then pushes her opinion on her viewers. I don't think it really has done anything for either the guests or those that watch the show, except give them something to do with their time.

But this isn't the first time I've thought that certain people shouldn't be doing certain things. For example, I should never be a chemist. But I know this, and stay away from it. Tyra shouldn't have a talk show, and it's ending, so it works out. Some people shouldn't be in college. It's just a fact. Some people can't handle it. Some people should not be in bikinis. Some people (Kristen Stewart) can't act.

Hm. I was going to expand on that last idea, but I think it's better suited for another day. So today I was just ranting at the lack of research behind certain talk shows and celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment